This is a weekly event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous.
- Back to the grind this week! It has been a struggle to get up when the alarm goes off, and I’m drinking a lot of coffee. But it’s been good to return to a normal routine, at least for Sunnie. She loves school and dance class and was so happy to be back this week. I miss being home with her and Nunz – we had such a great holiday vacation together. But we had to join the real world eventually!
- It’s also been a struggle getting my diet back on track, but I feel like I’ve got it back under control after eating way too much for the holidays. My pants are fitting, so I guess I didn’t go too overboard. 😉 I’m diligently tracking on MyFitnessPal and trying to stay away from too many sweets and sugary foods. I’m feeling better the past few days, so it seems to be working.
- I’m really excited because hubby and I are going on a little cabin getaway this weekend! We got to go on a cabin getaway several years ago and had such a great time. This time we’re not going as far away – we found some really adorable cabins in Amish country, which is a much closer drive, but still far enough away to feel like we’re actually ‘getting away’. And there’s a winery we’re planning on stopping at on the way down. It’s just for one night, but I’m really looking forward to it!
- Finished my first book of the new year and it was fantastic! Maybe because I love Tarryn Fisher I was a little biased, but I absolutely loved her new book. You can read my review here.
- I’m still on a roll with trying new recipes. It’s becoming one of my favorite things to do. Over the holidays I tried several new ones – Pasta E Fagioli, Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup, and Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings. All three were delicious. I’ve made the chicken noodle soup twice already. Tonight I’m making this Baked Spaghetti Casserole for the first time. It’s easy and sounds yummy.
The Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings – I LOVED it.
In case you missed it…
Recently Finished Reading
#FitReaders co-hosted by Felicia @ Geeky Bloggers Book Blog and Jen @ That’s What I’m Talking About. I joined FitReaders, because I thought it would be a great way to help me stay motivated. It’s always more fun with support of your blog friends!
Over my vacation, I gave myself a lot of slack on my diet and steps. I still ran 5 days a week, but have become less obsessed with my step count every day. With work and busy schedules, I have to be okay with whatever I’m able to fit into my day. While I used to be disappointed in myself for not hitting 10,000 steps in a day, I’ve learned that some days I just need that rest day and it’s okay! I was also super obsessed with getting in more steps on my lunch breaks, but that was taking away from my reading time, which is something I love, too. I need to find a balance, so I’m going to focus less on step count, and more on the fact that I am working out at least 5 days a week.
I’m still focused on running 5 days a week. Because of my knees, I can’t run more than 3 days in a row and then have to give myself a rest day. I’m listening to my body and the routine I’ve got in place is working well for me. I’m trying to build up to running a 10k or half marathon at the end of the year. To train for it I’m going to focus on at least one longer run a week where I add a half mile to the run each time. I’m also making sure to include at least one HIIT/interval run into my schedule every week, to burn more calories and build some endurance.
Coming back to work after a 2 week hiatus (and staying up late/sleeping in the entire time), has proven more difficult to wake up and do my runs early in the morning than I thought. Getting up at 4:30 just isn’t happening this week, so last night I ran in the evening. I ended up having a great run, so maybe getting more sleep in the morning and running at night is better for me right now.
Over vacation, I went for a run and beat my 5k PR time. I was so excited! That day I got to try out the GPS on my new Fitbit that I got for Christmas, and I love it!
And last weekend I ran my first 5k of the new year with my sister-in-law. It was freaking freezing cold, and I didn’t have my best time because I was so damn cold, but it was still really fun, and we’re going to run another one together in February. Gonna have to really layer up for that one! My goal for this year is to sign up for at least one race a month. As of right now I’m signed up for one in February and March!